Making A Difference
Impact Summary Reports
- 2012 - Year in Review
- 2013 Beef Systems
- Learning Child
- Guardianship/Conservator Training Program
- Crops - Youth Programming
- Agricultural Economics
- Cropping Systems Productivity
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Agriculture Water Management
- Animal Manure Management
- Water Climate Environment - Community
- Business Ventures and Innovation
- ECAP - Entrepreneurial Communities
- 2013 ESI and Beyond
- NACO Institute of Excellence
Karla (Hollingsworth) Jenkins, Ph.D., P.A.S.
Assistant Professor of Animal Science, Cow-calf and Range Management Specialist
Panhandle Research and Extension Center, 4502 Ave. I, Scottsbluff, NE 69361
Cell (308) 225-2873; work (308) 632-1245
- West Texas State University 1985-87
- Texas A&M University B.S. 1987-89 Agricultural Education GPA 3.8
- University of Nebraska M.S. 1989-92 Animal Science GPA 3.6 Ruminant Nutr.
- University of Nebraska Ph.D. 1992-94 Animal Science GPA 3.9 Ruminant Nutr.
EXTENSION AND RESEARCH INTERESTS:
Responsibilities include extension programming for cow/calf and range management practices as well as research on grazing and supplementation systems, range sustainability, and use of alternative crops in livestock diets to improve efficiency and profitability.
PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:
Research Assistant of Animal Science September 2007-June 2009, Texas AgriLife Research and Extension. Responsibilities included overseeing the grazing and finishing studies, supervising students and part-time employees, feeding cattle, buying commodities, selling cattle, overseeing and collecting data for pen and metabolism studies.
- American Society of Animal Science
- Society for Range Management
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- MacDonald, J.C., K.H. Jenkins, F.T. McCollum III, and N.A. Cole. 2008. Effects of 20% corn wet distiller’s grains plus soluble in steam-flaked and dry-rolled corn based diets. National Animal Science Meetings. Abstract. Indianapolis, IN
- Lewis, J.B., K. J. Jenkins, J. M. Patterson, N. A. Cole, J. B. Osterstock, L. O. Tedeschi, and J. C. MacDonald. 2009. Effects of corn processing method and wet distiller’s grains plus solubles inclusion and source on ruminal pH and in situ digestiblity of crossbred steers. J. Anim. Sci. 87:40 E Supplement 3
- Jenkins, K.H., J.C. MacDonald, F.T. McCollum III, and S.A. Amosson. 2009. Effects of level of supplementary dried distiller’s grains on calves grazing native pastures and subsequent wheat pasture performance. Professional Animal Scientist. 25(2009)596-604.
- Buttrey, E.K., F. T. McCollum III, J. C. MacDonald, and K. H. Jenkins. 2010. Use of dried distillers grains throughout a beef production system. ASAS National Meeting Abstract, Vol. 88-E-Suppl.2.
- Luebbe, M.K., K.H. Jenkins, J. Patterson, E.K. Buttrey, J.C. MacDonald. 2010. Effects of wet distillers grains plus soluble concentration in steam-flaked corn-based finishing diets on nutrient digestibility. ASAS National Meeting Abstract. Vol. 88-E-Suppl.2.
- Luebbe, M.K., T.C. Davis, K.H. Jenkins, F.T. McCollum III, N.A. Cole, and J.C. MacDonald. 2010. Effects of wet distillers grains plus solubles concentration in steam-flaked corn-based finishing diets on performance and carcass characteristics of beef steers. ASAS National Meeting Abstract. Vol. 88-E-Suppl.2.
- Musgrave, J.A., L.A. Stalker, T.J. Klopfenstein, M.C. Stockton, and K.H. Jenkins. 2010. Effects of corn hybrid on the amount of residue available for grazing relative to grain yield. ASAS Western Section Abstract, 61:131-133.
- Nichols, C.A., K.H. Jenkins, J.T. Vasconcelos, G.E. Erickson, S.A. Furman, R.S. Goodall, T.J. Klopfenstein. Effects of Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Yucca Schidigera on Finishing Performance and Carcass Traits of Feedlot Cattle. 2011 Nebraska Beef Report MP94:72.
- Walker, J.A., K.H. Jenkins, T.J. Klopfenstein. Protein, Fiber, and Digestibility of Selected Alternative Crops for Beef Cattle. 2011 Nebraska Beef Report MP94:80.
- Jenkins, K.H., J. T. Vasconcelos, J. B. Hinkle, S. A. Furman, A. S. de Mello, Jr., L. S. Senaratne, S. Pokharel, and C. R. Calkins. 2011. Evaluation of performance, carcass characteristics, and sensory attributes of beef from finishing steers fed field peas J Anim Sci 89: 1167-1172.