Making A Difference
Impact Summary Reports
- 2012 - Year in Review
- 2013 Beef Systems
- Learning Child
- Guardianship/Conservator Training Program
- Crops - Youth Programming
- Agricultural Economics
- Cropping Systems Productivity
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Agriculture Water Management
- Animal Manure Management
- Water Climate Environment - Community
- Business Ventures and Innovation
- ECAP - Entrepreneurial Communities
- 2013 ESI and Beyond
- NACO Institute of Excellence
Department of Agronomy and Horticulture
Panhandle Research and Extension Center, 4502 Avenue I, Scottsbluff, NE 69361
Phone: 308-632-1244. Fax: 308-632-1365
- Ph.D. (1999): University of Pune (India) and Washington State University (USA).
- M.S. (1992): Assam Agricultural University (India).
- B.S. (1989): Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya (India)
The objective is to develop and enhance germplasm and cultivars of new and existing alternative crops for sustainable production under dry land farming conditions in northern High Plains of the USA (western Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, South Dakota and eastern Wyoming) combining biotechnology and traditional breeding methods. Areas of research are:
- Breeding and genetics of proso millet (Panicum miliaceum L.) and foxtail millet (Setaria italica L.)
- Germplasm characterization
- Genetics of important agronomic traits
- Genome, gene, and QTL mapping
- Molecular markers and marker-assisted selection (MAS)
- Biotechnology tools for crop improvement
- Identification and improvement of existing crops (cereals and oil seeds) for traditional and organic farming
- Identification and improvement of annual forage and/or grain legumes, other alternative crops
To develop and deliver educational programs focused on the establishment of new alternative crops with new uses and markets.
Selected journal articles:
- Santra D. K., M. Santra, X. Chen, K.G. Campbell and K.K. Kidwell. 2008. Mapping QTL for high temperature, adult plant resistance to stripe rusts in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 117:793-802.
- Santra D.K., C. Watt, L. Little, K.K. Kidwell and K.G. Campbell. 2006. Comparison of a modified assay method for the endopeptidase marker Ep-D1b with the STS marker XustSSR2001-7DL for strawbreaker foot rot resistance in wheat. Plant Breeding 125:13-18.
- Santra M.*, D.K. Santra* V.S. Rao, S.P. Taware and S.A. Tamhankar. 2005. Inheritance of ß-carotene concentration in durum wheat (Triticum turgidum ssp. durum). Euphytica 144:215-221. *Equal contributions.
- Barve M.P., D.K. Santra, P.K. Ranjekar and V.S. Gupta 2004. Genetic diversity analysis of a worldwide collection of Ascochyta rabiei isolates using sequence tagged micro satellite markers. World J. of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 20:735-741.
- Santra D. K., D. Sandhu, T. Tai and M. K. Bhattacharyya. 2003. Construction and characterization of a soybean yeast artificial chromosome library and identification of clones for Rps6 region. Functional and Integrative Genomics. 3:153-159.
- Hüttel B., D.K. Santra. F.J. Muehlbauer and G. Kahl. 2002. Resistance gene analogues of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L): Isolation, genetic mapping and association with Fusarium resistance gene cluster. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 105:479-490.
- Winter P., A.M. Benko-Iseppon, B. Hüttel, M.B. Ratnaparkhe, A. Tullu, G. Sonnante, T. Pfaff, M. Tekeoglu, D.K. Santra, V.J. Sant, P.N. Rajesh, G. Kahl, F.J. Muehlbauer. 2000. A linkage map of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) genome based on recombinant inbred lines from C. arietinum x C. reticulatum cross: Localization of resistance genes for fusarium wilt races 4 and 5. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 101:1155-1163.
- Santra D.K., M. Tekeoglu, M.B. Ratnaparkhe, W.J. Kaiser and F.J. Muehlbauer. 2000. Identification and mapping QTL conferring resistance to ascochyta blight in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Crop Science 40:1606-1612.
- Santra D.K., G. Singh, W.J. Kaiser, V.S. Gupta, P.K. Ranjekar, and F.J. Muehlbauer. 2000a. Molecular analysis of Ascochyta rabiei (Pass.) Labr., the pathogen of ascochyta blight in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 102:676-682.
- Tekeoglu M., D.K. Santra, W.J.Kaiser, and F.J. Muehlbauer. 2000. Inheritance of ascochyta blight resistance in three recombinant inbred line populations of chickpea. Crop Science 40:1251-1256.
- Ratnaparkhe M.B., D.K. Santra, A. Tullu and F.J. Muehlbauer. 1998. Inheritance of inter-simple sequence repeat polymorphism and their linkage with fusarium wilt resistance gene in chickpea. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 96:348-353.
- Non-referred articles (abstracts & posters): 29
- Germplasm and cultivars: Nine
- Crop Science Society of America.
- American Association of Advancement of Science.
- Official reviewer Theoretical and Applied Genetics